Drum roll please…
Due to a lucky discovery, I have figured out the secret to making a Chinese inspired fried rice dish taste professionally cooked!
Stir fried rice is a very easily manipulated recipe. It’s something you can throw together using rice and anything else you want to put into it. It can be a more traditional chines fried rice or it can morph into another cultures version by simply changing the spices and sauces you add!
My basic stir fried rice recipe is as follows:
- Bacon. Yes. Cut it up and fry it up before you add more things to the pan. I recently did this because our local Chinese restaurant uses chopped pork in theirs. The bacon gives it a really smoky flavor which is amazing.
- Vegetables chopped small and cooked in the bacon grease. If you want to make it healthier go ahead and pout out the grease and use veggie oil. This is a great way to throw more vegetables into your diet. I love carrots, celery, peas, corn and onion, but another great one is those riced cauliflower things…it’s the same size as rice so it hides in the other ingredients.
- Scrambled eggs done right in the same pan. Push the veggies off into the corner and cook it right there next to them. This will pick up some of the flavors of the other things which is great.
- Precooked white rice. It takes 152 minutes to cook but makes the process so much faster if you cook it before. You can also use leftover rice from the night before or day before.
- Season as you like with garlic salt and pepper and soy sauce.
Here comes the kicker ingredient that will change up your game…
Sesame Oil is the key ingredient to have your stir fried rice go from good to great!
I’ve done this recipe with and without and this is the thing that made the biggest difference.
I hope you enjoy this hack. I’d love to hear what you put into your stir fry. Comment with your own recipe post or let me know what I should try next time I make it!